- 1954 Peoria incorporated
- 1955 First elected town council took office
- 1956 Peoria named “Rose Capital of the World”
- 1956 Peoria Post Office received its first telephone
Following several years of discussion and a very close vote, Peoria incorporated on June 7, 1954. County supervisors appointed a seven-member town council to serve the inaugural term—four who had been in favor of incorporation (Charles Brice, Manuel Leyva, F. L. Turner, and Roland Pomeroy) and three against (Don Wagoner, O. M. “Mac” Bradshaw, and Carl Hunt). The new council was sworn in and held its first organizational meeting on June 14, selecting schoolteacher Roland Pomeroy to be the city’s first mayor.
Old Jail built in 1939 later became Peoria Town Hall
One year later, the residents of Peoria went to the polls to select the town’s first elected officials; returning councilmen Hunt, Kosier, Leyva, and Pomeroy were joined by new members Clarence Meeker, Edmund Tang, and Charles K. Vickrey, who became Peoria’s second mayor.
Vickrey Soda Fountain
Peoria Post Office employees on Christmas 1955
1965-66 Peoria Fire Department
Fire Station 1
Peoria's first Police Chief
- 1971 Peoria assumed city status with a population of 4,792
- 1973 Citywide mail delivery started
- 1974 Sun City was separated from the Peoria Unified School District