Neighborhood Traffic Management Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Neighborhood Traffic Management Program?
The City of Peoria Neighborhood Traffic Management Program (NTMP) is a program which responds to resident’s growing concerns with traffic, such as cut-through traffic and excessive speeds in neighborhoods, by coordinating the implementation of traffic calming features with the overall goal of improving the quality of life for Peoria residents.

How can I get speed humps on my street?
Request information on how to start the process, download the NTMP Information Packet (PDF).

Does my neighborhood qualify for NTMP?
There are two basic requirements to be a part of the Neighborhood Traffic Management Program. The requirements are that the area of concern is a paved and public roadway maintained by the City of Peoria and that your street meets the minimum criteria for vehicle volume per day (700 vehicles per day for local streets and 3,000 vehicles per day for collector streets) OR the minimum criteria for 85th percentile speeds (5 mph over posted speed limit on local and minor collector streets, and 10 mph over the posted speed limit  for major collector streeets). 

Why can’t we just have a STOP sign installed?
STOP signs are not offered as an NTMP traffic calming measure. STOP signs are installed to assign who has the right-of-way at intersections. They are not an effective method for calming traffic or slowing speeds. When installed where unwarranted, they breed disrespect from drivers and actually may cause crashes by providing a false sense of security to pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists.

How long does it take to get speed humps once our neighborhood qualifies?
The City of Peoria is currently working with many neighborhoods at different stages in the NTMP process.  The quicker a neighborhood completes the petition process, the sooner it will get on the construction list.

Why was my property not included in the petition boundary?
The city designates the petition boundary based on what properties will be MOST affected by the installation of the traffic calming measure on individual streets. For example, if your street has a series of side streets or cul-de-sacs that only outlet onto the original street, the properties on the side streets and cul-de-sacs will be included in the petition boundary. Also, if one or more traffic calming measures are visible from the property, more than likely it will be included in the petition boundary. Each petition boundary is determined by the city on a case-by-case basis and will be included in a map with each petition form.

What is the difference between speed humps and speed bumps?
Speed bumps are usually utilized in parking lots, such as for shopping centers, and where speed limits are around 5 mph; therefore, speed bumps are shorter (up to 3 feet wide) and can be taller (as high as 6 inches) than speed humps. Speed bumps require drivers to come to almost a complete stop before passing over the bump. Speed humps are designed to slow traffic to the posted speed limit and can generally be driven over consistently at 20-25 mph. Speed humps are 12 feet wide and 3.5 inches high. The City of Peoria NTMP offers speed humps as opposed to speed bumps. 

How much does a speed hump cost?
The cost of speed humps varies with the contractor as well as the current price of materials. Speed humps generally cost between $1,600 and $2,000 each. However, if a neighborhood meets the minimum criteria to pursue speed humps, the City of Peoria pays for the speed humps in full. If the criteria are not met, residents can still choose to pursue speed humps if they meet other qualifications and are willing to pay the full cost of installation.

Can we pay for our own speed humps or traffic calming measures?
If the street is publicly owned, yes. You will need to get an engineering permit and also meet the NTMP requirements including going through the petitioning process. The city will not issue an engineering permit without signed and verified petitions on file. This will enable residents to get traffic calming measures installed sooner without having to be placed on the waiting list for construction. If the street is privately owned, they can also pay for their own traffic calming measures. However, these neighborhoods should check with the agencies responsible for emergency services and they must hire an engineering consultant to ensure that the traffic calming measures are constructed properly.

Do traffic calming measures decrease property values?
 Some people feel property values increase with increased traffic safety on streets and others feel property values decrease due to aesthetics. There is no documentation to support either position.

Can our neighborhood get “SLOW - CHILDREN PLAYING” signs?
No. These signs give parents and children a false sense of security and are generally disregarded by motorists. These signs are neither authorized nor effective for reducing speeds or protecting children.