Here you can view the City of Peoria City Charter using the links in the index below. At the top and bottom of each section is a link to take you back to the index, and another link to take you to the next section.
Many citizens are unaware of the purpose served by the City Charter. The City Charter acts as the ‘constitution’ of the City, and the framework for local laws that are passed by the City Council and then codified into the City Code. The City Charter also provides for the structure of the local government. The City Charter can only be amended by a majority vote of the qualified electors of the City of Peoria.
City Charter Table of Contents
Earlier complete versions are available in the City Charter Archives.
- ARTICLE I: Incorporation, Form of Government, Powers and Boundaries
- ARTICLE II: The Council
- ARTICLE III: The City Manager
- ARTICLE IV: Administrative Departments, Offices and Employees
- ARTICLE V: Appointive Boards and Commissions
- ARTICLE VI: Finance and Taxation
- ARTICLE VII: Ordinances and Resolutions
- ARTICLE VIII: Contracts
- ARTICLE VIII.I: Ethics
- ARTICLE IX: Elections
- ARTICLE X: Initiative, Referendum and Recall
- ARTICLE XI: Municipal Court
- ARTICLE XII: Franchise and Public Utilities
- ARTICLE XIII: Publicity of Records
- ARTICLE XIV: General Provisions
- ARTICLE XV: Gender
- ARTICLE XVI: Succession in Government
- ARTICLE XVII: Amendments