What does the City Attorney’s Office do?
Criminal Division – Municipal Court
- Prosecutes City Code and state law violations
- Oversees deferred prosecution
- Notifies and assists crime victims
Civil Division – City Hall
- Advises the City on compliance with federal, state and local laws
- Represents the City in business and legal transactions
- Defends the City against civil lawsuits
- Manages the City’s self-insurance program and Claims Management
Will the City Attorney’s Office represent me if I cannot afford an attorney?
We work hard to represent the City of Peoria as a whole organization. Our role is limited to representing citizens indirectly by serving as lawyers for the City of Peoria and its Mayor, City Council, Departments, agencies, and programs.
However, we will always be glad to provide information and referral to various public services that may be able to help our citizens who feel they may not be able to afford a lawyer. Although our attorneys cannot represent private citizens or provide specific legal advice or counsel, here are a few helpful resources:
City Attorney, Steve Burg
P.O. Box 4038
Peoria, AZ 85380-4038
Our normal office hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.