Doing Business in Peoria

Doing Business in Peoria

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Thank you for choosing Peoria! The city of Peoria wants your business to succeed and thrive. Whether you are starting, changing or growing your business, we want to make it easy. We encourage you to learn more about how we can assist you.

For more information, please contact:
Karen Calivas at 623-773-INFO (4636) or

View Business Outreach Flyer - New Businesses (PDF)

View Business Outreach Flyer - Existing Businesses (PDF)


Zoning: Not every type of business is permitted. Ensure you have the right zoning to operate your business. Visit or call 623-773-7200.

Business License: A business license is required by any person conducting business in Peoria (including home

Sales Tax License: Businesses subject to the Transaction Privilege (Sales) Tax need a Transaction Privilege
(TPT) License with the Arizona Department of Revenue:

Fire Operational License: An operational permit is required for businesses that include fireworks,
combustible or hazardous materials, repair garages, or paint booths:

Liquor License: Establishments selling alcohol for onsite or offsite consumption require a liquor license with
the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control:


Building/Site Permit: A permit is required for additions, demolitions, shelving, walls, and work within city

Change of Occupancy: A change of business type (e.g., retail to office) may require a new certificate.

Addition or Modification: Structural, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing changes require a permit.

Add or Remove Wall: Alterations or changes to the walls within the business require a building permit.

Paint or Update the Exterior: A design review application is required for any work that changes the look
of the building:


Window Sign: No more than 25% of the total window area on each side of a building may be covered by signs.

Special Promotion Sign: Wall mounted banners, “swooper signs,” and A-frame or T-frame portable signs
require a permit:

Grand Opening: A business may advertise with signs for up to 60 days upon opening of the business without
requiring a sign permit.

Temporary Use Permit: An event such as a car show, carnival, or tent sale may require a permit.

Food Trucks: Hosting a food truck on your property may require a permit; call to confirm 623-773-7200.


Landscaping: Vegetation ensures our community remains a place of beauty. Replace damaged or dying
landscaping, and remove weeds on your property and in the rights-of-way (if applicable).

Onsite Storage: Excess business materials must be stored within an enclosed and approved area. Storage or
shipping containers affect the use of your property. Call 623-773-7200 for information.

Parking: Some businesses require more parking spaces than others; call to confirm 623-773-7200.

Blight Conditions: Graffiti, illegal dumping, debris, and weeds must be removed from your property. Call
623-773-7162 with questions.

Shopping Carts: All carts are required to have locking mechanisms to prevent removal from the property.


While the information contained within is not all-inclusive of the many ways that we partner for success, we hope it serves as a snapshot of the city codes and ordinances that are in place to ensure our community forever serves as a point of pride.

For more information, please contact:
Karen Calivas at 623-773-INFO (4636) or