Recycling Presentations and Tours
The City of Peoria collects about 70,000 tons of waste each year and delivers it to local landfills. Much of this waste can be diverted from landfills and recycled. Last year Peoria's citizens diverted approximately 16,000 tons of waste from area landfills! Great job! Let's divert even more!
Recycling Makes Sense
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals
- Prevents pollution caused by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States
- At the MRF, the collected materials are sorted and bundled for sale on the open market (this is why it is important to buy goods made from reycled materials).
- Recyclable materials collected are taken to an area materials recovery facility, or MRF.
- City receives money depending on how clean the recyclable materials are (the cleaner the recyclables the higher the dollar amount per ton).
Presentation, Tours, and Outreach
We offer free presentations, tours, and outreach to all Peoria citizens, schools, and community groups. Please complete the online reservation form to request a speaker, exhibitor or a Materials Recovery Facility field trip for your event. Reservations must be made at least 1 week prior to event. For additional information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 623-773-7160. Transportation to and from the materials recovery facilities is not provided.
Click Here to book a presentation or tour.
Other educational sites
- The Environmental Protection Agency offers a great deal of recycling information. Click HERE to visit their waste education site.
- Earth911 is dedicated to reducing waste and offers some great information. Click HERE to visit their site.
- Arizona Recycling Coalition is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting recycling throughout the State. Click HERE to visit their site.
Educational recycling videos
- Here is a short video of a local Materials Recovery Facility, or MRF. Click HERE to view the video. If you're interested in taking a group tour of a facility similar to this complete the online form above. You'll be amazed!
- Plastic bags aren't recyclable in curbside containers. Instead, take them to one of many Bag It Central Station locations at Peoria's Fire Stations, City Hall or libraries. Once collected, it goes through it's own recycle process. Click HERE for a short video about plastic bag recycling.
Follow Peoria Sustainability on Facebook - Like Us on our Sustain and Gain Facebook Page. Click HERE to visit.