Peoria Veterans Day Commemorative Events
and Take Me Home Huey Sculpture Exhibition
Thursday-Saturday, November 5-7, 2015
Rio Vista Recreation Center, 8866 W. Thunderbird Rd.
adjacent to Peoria’s Veterans Memorial Wall
As the nation embraces the ongoing 50th Anniversary Commemoration of the Vietnam War, Arizonians will get a first glimpse of one artist’s effort to honor an icon of that era. The City of Peoria is proud to host the Inaugural Exhibition of Take Me Home Huey, created by Artist Steve Maloney, as a central theme of this year’s 2015 Veterans Day events scheduled November 5 to 7 inside Peoria’s Rio Vista Park.
The heart of the project is a contemporary sculpture repurposed from a boneyard Huey helicopter #174, brought down with two casualties in February 1969 during a Medevac mission in Vietnam. Its mission is significant: to honor Vietnam veterans, inspire conversation, promote healing, and help raise awareness for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Maloney has partnered with Light Horse Legacy, Inc. (LHL) a Peoria based 501(c) 3 non-profit organization and USA Vietnam War Commemorative Partner focused on supporting veterans with PTSD. LHL acquired, re-skinned, restored and delivered the aircraft to the artist to transform it into art for healing. Importantly, Dave Barron, LHL founder researched Huey #174 and reunited surviving soldiers and families connected to the aircraft.
The sculpture will be located in the park adjacent to the Veterans Memorial Wall and available for viewing throughout the weekend with several events planned. For the remainder of the Arizona Exhibits, the sculpture will be featured in the Phoenix Veterans Day Parade on Wednesday, November 11 beginning at 11 a.m. in downtown Phoenix. Friday, November 13 through January 2016 Take Me Home Huey will begin an extended exhibition at the Airbase Arizona Museum of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) in Mesa, AZ. For more details on the Take Me Home Huey sculpture or the artist, click here.
||Download the event flyer.
Thursday, November 5-7
First day of public viewing of the Take Me Home Huey exhibit in Rio Vista Park.
Friday, November 6
Two multimedia presentations at Rio Vista Recreation Center hosted by City of Peoria.
Please register for either presentation by calling 623.773.8600.
- 10 – 11:30 a.m. Artist introduction and history of the Huey Helicopter in the Vietnam War. Following the presentation, visit to the sculpture and question and answer with artist and veterans (for high school students and adults)
- 6 – 7:30 p.m. Post-traumatic stress disorder panel discussion following overview of the Take Me Home Huey project. Art for healing and removing the stigma of PTSD (for adults).
Saturday, November 7
5K Race-1Mile Fun Walk-Kids’ Fun Run
Click here to register.
- 7:30 – 8:15 a.m. Onsite Registration 5 K Race, 1 Mile Fun Walk and Kids’ Mile Run
- 8:15 – 8:30 a.m. Welcome by Ben Geiger, Peoria Veterans Memorial Board
Presentation of Colors, Peoria High School JROTC
National Anthem sung by Jeannie Cunningham
- 8:30 a.m. Race begins
- 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. Free pancake breakfast sponsored by Peoria Firefighters Charities
- 9:30 a.m. Awards Ceremony, Guest Presenters: Wanda A. Wright, Director, Arizona Department of Veterans’ Services (Col., USAF, ret.), David Barron, Light Horse Legacy and Peoria Mayor Cathy Carlat
The Take Me Home Huey sculpture will serve as inspiration for a Veterans Day 5K run hosted by the Peoria Veterans Memorial Board at Rio Vista Recreation Center. Stop by the recreation center after the 5k run to hear representatives from Light Horse Legacy speak about the project and their outreach efforts.