Welcome to Peoria's newsroom! Here you will find the latest news and information about events in Peoria, Arizona.
Peoria Mayor Declares Local Emergency
Mayor Cathy Carlat signs a Proclamation of a Local Emergency
PEORIA, Ariz. (March 19, 2020) – Peoria Mayor Cathy Carlat has declared a state of local emergency in response to the (COVID-19) global pandemic to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the people. This action allows the flexibility to deploy emergency management measures as necessary, and ensures those within Peoria city borders can readily access state and federal assistance, as it is made available.
“The safety and wellbeing of our residents remains our highest priority,” said Mayor Carlat. “There are many challenges related to this pandemic, but one thing is clear – it will take each and every one of us working intentionally to reduce physical contact, to slow the spread of this virus.”
During this time, the City of Peoria calls upon community members and business leaders to adhere to social distancing guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Restaurants, bars, and dining establishments in areas of known community spread, which includes Maricopa County, should discourage dine-in customers and encourage curbside pick-up or drive-through service.
- Businesses should encourage telework, staggered shifts, and alternate work solutions for their employees.
- Gatherings and events of 10 or more people should be cancelled.
- Citizens should maintain a 6-foot distance between each other to reduce the risk of transmission.
- Citizens are encouraged to stay home and avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips, and social visits as much as possible.
Mayor Carlat continued, “It is time for each of us to do our part. It is time for us to remember that we are all Americans, that we are all in this together and that, with the spirit we have exhibited time and time again throughout our history, we can overcome any challenge by the unity of our shared conviction.”
In this time of uncertainty and with the progression of the COVID-19 outbreak, the City of Peoria will continue to take immediate action that aligns with the latest recommendations of health care experts and in the best interest of public health and safety. All city events have been cancelled and public facilities such as the Rio Vista Recreation Center, the Peoria Community Center, the Peoria Center for the Performing Arts, the West Valley Art Museum, three city pools, and both libraries will remain closed until further notice.
For the latest updates, visit www.peoriaaz.gov/covid19 or follow the city’s social media pages.