Welcome to Peoria's newsroom! Here you will find the latest news and information about events in Peoria, Arizona.
Coronavirus: Tips to Stay Healthy
The city of Peoria is monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) developments closely and will continue to share information as it becomes available. While this is an evolving situation, the science currently suggests the infectious rate for COVID-19 is a little higher than the flu, but not as infectious as mumps or measles. Below are tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to protect yourself against the virus and to help prevent the spread of the virus.
- Use a disposable tissue for coughing or sneezing and discard. Your elbow is a better alternative than your hand when a tissue is not readily available. However, if you use your elbow, the virus can live on your clothing on your elbow for a week or more.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- Regularly use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Have hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes available at your home, office and car.
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces, especially if they are shared by others.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home if you are feeling ill.
- If you have not already, get a flu shot. While a flu shot will not prevent you from contracting COVID-19, the CDC recommends it as a best practice.
The CDC is the authority on COVID-19. For a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions about symptoms of the disease and what you can do to help stop the spread of germs, visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.