City of Peoria Press Release
Printer Friendly Version
Police Share Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
Be Alert, Shop with Friends, and More
Protect yourself when shopping this holiday season
by remembering these tips:
• Make note of where you park and the entrance you used so you can go directly
to your car without wandering in search of your car. Park your vehicle in a
well-lit area and be aware of your surroundings. Have your keys out and ready
before you get to your car. Look your car over as you approach it to make sure
everything is OK.
• Be alert and walk with a purpose. The bad guy wants an easy target; a
distracted, inattentive shopper will fit the bill. Pay attention to your
surroundings and if you are not comfortable go back to the store or mall and ask
their security to escort you to your car.
• If you can, shop with a friend – there is safety in numbers.
• Carry a cell phone with you and be prepared to call the police in case of an
• Thieves often “shop” in food courts. Don’t leave handbags, gifts, etc.
• Don’t leave valuables, packages, and recent purchases in plain sight in your
• Carry only the credit cards that you intend to use and avoid carrying large
sums of money. Secure your credit card receipts.