Household & Hazardous Waste
The City of Peoria is committed to the proper disposal and recycling of our citizen’s waste. The City sponsors several collection events throughout the year. For additional information, click HERE or call Customer Service at 623.773.7160.
Prescription Drug Disposal . . . A Pain in the Drain!
When bringing HHW items, remember these tips:
- Please bring with you a current water bill or drivers license as proof of residency.
- If possible, seal items in their original containers or clearly label all items not in their original containers.
- Place items in a cardboard box that we can recycle for you. Wrap glass bottles in cloth or newspaper so that they do not break while transporting.
- Do not bring your items in plastic or cardboard boxes that you wish to keep, this increases the amount of time our staff spends unloading your vehicle and increases the wait for others.
|Household & Hazardous Waste Schedule (Residential materials only!)
|NOTE: Dates, hours and locations are subject to change.
Oct 24, 2015
|8:00 am to Noon
||City of Peoria Municipal Operations ComplexLocated at 8850 N. 79th Avenue, Peoria AZ, 85345.Please enter off of 79th Avenue just south of Olive Avenue.Click HERE for a map.
January 23, 2016
|8:00 am to Noon
Liberty High School
9621 W. Speckled Gecko, Peoria, AZ
Watch for signs!Click for a Map of Liberty High School
8:00 am to Noon
|City of Peoria Municipal Operations ComplexLocated at 8850 N. 79th Avenue, Peoria AZ, 85345.Please enter off of 79th Avenue just south of Olive Avenue.Click HERE for a map.
Oil based Paint - Limit 5 gallons
E - waste**
Motor Oil - Limit 5 gallons per household
Antifreeze - Limit 5 gallons per household
Passenger Tires - Limit 4 per household - remove rims
**Peoria's electronic waste recycling program.
Medical Waste / Prescription drugs
H & HW Information and Alternatives
What happens to the items collected?
- Used motor oil, antifreeze and vehicle batteries are recycled by companies specializing in recycling each commodity.
- Unusable hazardous materials will be disposed of properly by a hazardous waste contractor.
- Appliances are recycled as scrap metal after the removal of refrigerants.
- Tires are recycled into crumb rubber.
- Non-hazardous materials are sorted and recycled as possible and/or disposed of as municipal solid waste.
Between H & HW collection events . . .
- Motor oil and car batteries may be taken to some local auto parts stores for free. Call the store first – materials accepted and hours of operation are subject to change.
- Allow small amounts of latex pain to dry and harden on sand or kitty litter. Place open can in the recycle container. Place lid in recycle container separately. Place dry solid paint in the garbage container. Large amounts of latex paint can be solidified with an agent found in the hardware store or mix in equal amounts of kitty litter. Once the paint is solid you can place it in the garbage container. Poke it with a stick to make sure it is dry!
- Use up propane in small (1 lb) canisters. Place empty canister in the recycle container. Take BBQ cylinders/tanks to a propane dealer for reuse or recycling.
- Or go to www.earth911.com, type in your item and your zip code for a recycle center near you.
- Alkaline and carbon-zinc batteries are non-hazardous. Typically batteries in sizes A, AA, AAA, C and D should be bagged, tied and placed in your garbage container.
- Rechargeable batteries that are nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd), nickel-metal hydride (Ni-MH), lithium ion (Li-ion), or small, sealed lead batteries, weighing less than two pounds can be recycled at an H & HW event or battery vendor.
- We do not collect sharps/syringes at our H & HW events.
- Pamphlet with safe options for home needle disposal.
Additional Recycling Resources & Alternate Disposal Resources for Household & Hazardous Waste.
*Please contact the Environmental Resources Division at email@example.com with questions about materials not listed here.
For more information, contact us during our business hours, 7 am - 6 pm - Monday through Thursday, at 623-773-7160 or e-mail us at Recycling@peoriaaz.gov.