Know your surroundings, local and national situation & conditions, threat level, and local warnings.
Be aware what should or should not be in a particular area, such as:
- Unattended packages in key locations
- Inappropriate vehicles parked close to buildings
- Visit the City of Peoria Emergency Management site frequently to obtain updates and information.
- Listen to the radio or television for up-to-date information.
- Know adverse weather conditions such as high winds, rain, floods, and lightening.
Learn how to protect yourself and cope with disaster by planning ahead. Use an Emergency Checklist to get started. Below are some general steps and links to help you get prepared.
- Have 72 hours worth of supplies on hand by creating a Family Disaster Supply Kit. Be sure you have an ample supply of food and water, in addition to home emergency supplies.
- Develop a Family Disaster/Emergency Plan
- Develop a shelter plan if you need to stay indoors, but cannot get to a community shelter
- Develop a home escape plan.
- Get to know your neighbors and look out for each other.